Oscar Hammerstein II – Educational Lesson - SL
In a time when Harlem was predominately Jewish, the name Hammerstein was well-respected. Oscar Hammerstein II, whose grandfather opened the area's first Opera House and built 50 housing developments in the late 1800s, made his own impact when he dropped out of law school to follow in his family's theatrical footsteps. He is best known as one member of a famous partnership, Rodgers and Hammerstein. He wrote lyrics for many of Braodway's classic musicals, including "South Pacific." Students will find inspiration with this reading comprehension lesson and can test their critical thinking skills with the questions that follow.
Three fun facts about Oscar Hammerstein II:
- He won eight Tony Awards and two Pulitzer Prizes.
- Hammerstein II wrote lyrics for Broadway for over forty years.
- Oscar Hammerstein II wrote lyrics for some of Broadway’s most memorable musicals, including Oklahoma!, The Sound of Music, and South Pacific.
Harlem Roots Supplemental Lesson
People learn in many different ways. One of the best ways to ensure that every lesson is forever remembered is by purchasing the supplemental lesson for each lesson. All of the supplemental lessons will contain three different activities to help build an understanding of the topic, and help reinforce what they have learned.
- With your supplemental lesson, you can expect to receive a vocabulary list which will feature ten words and their definitions as they are related to the text for the student to do.
- For easy learning you will also enjoy ten fun facts that pertain to the lesson.
- In addition to these tools, every supplemental lesson you also contain one word search puzzle.
Enjoy the videos on Oscar Hammerstein II below