The Amsterdam News – Educational Lesson - SL
Take a journey into the heart of Harlem with James H. Anderson as he uses a ten dollar investment to establish 'The New York Amsterdam News', which has been named as one of the most influential black newspapers throughout most of the 20th century. Enjoy reading about Anderson and the influence of this weekly circulation on society since December 4, 1909. Students will find this read comprehension lesson about The New York Amsterdam News fascinating along with corresponding questions.
Three fun facts about The New York Amsterdam News:
- It became one of the largest, longest-running, and most influential black newspapers in the country.
- It was one of the first newspapers to focus on Malcolm X and to publish his column, "God’s Angry Man."
- When it started, there were only about 50 black newspapers in the entire country.
Harlem Supplemental Lessons
People learn in many different ways. One of the best ways to ensure that every lesson is forever remembered is by purchasing the supplemental lesson for each lesson. All of the supplemental lessons will contain three different activities to help build an understanding of the topic, and help reinforce what they have learned.
- With your supplemental lesson, you can expect to receive a vocabulary list which will feature ten words and their definitions as they are related to the text.
- For easy learning you will also enjoy ten fun facts that pertain to the lesson.
- In addition to these tools, every supplemental lesson you also contain one word search puzzle.